Tuesday, August 3, 2010

To have a mentor or not?

Have you ever sat in your chair with your WIP (work in progress) in front of you and you are at a stand still? There is a question that you need answered and you are unsure where to go? I have been there. I have had a few moments where I wish I had had someone I could talk to. Writing a book isn't easy. Yes, I paid attention in English class, but I have been out of school for xx number of years, ( you didn't think I was actually going to tell you did you?) and I will admit there are somethings that have slipped my mind.

I'm not just talking about the grammatical aspect of writing either. Once my first book was done, I had a whole new set of questions. What is the difference between a synopsis and a query letter? How do I find reputable agents? What is waiting for me in that great big world of publishing? There are writers out there who do not have a mentor, whether it be there choosing or they just haven't found one yet. I have one and I am so thankful for her. I didn't set out looking for a mentor, it just happened. One question to the right person lead to another question and before I knew it, she was there anytime I needed her. I will forever be thankful for all of the help I have received. I am sure I would still be sitting at my computer with a look of complete confusion on my face and I doubt I would be as far as I am today with out her guidance.

I also have my two critique partners, (CP), and they are a valuable asset to me. Many writers have them and I imagine they would say the same thing! It is nice to have someone to bounce an idea off of. These girls have gone through and found mistakes that my eyes have missed since I have re-read my own work a thousand times. They will tell me if my battle scene is rough enough or if my sex scene is plausible. Believe me, it makes sense. Haven't you ever read a scene between two people and in the back of your head you are thinking, "Is that humanly possible?" It isn't bad to have the help of others and I think it is important to remember that if you are going to surround yourself with others, to make sure it is people you can count on, trust, and respect.

So, if you have a mentor and/or a CP, make sure you let them know how much you appreciate them! I want to say thank you to Lizzie and Pam, my CP's and my mentor, you are all wonderful!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. ...and if I ever get around to finishing my two books, I know you'll be right there doing the same thing for me!!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, you are going to get those books written. I have faith in you and they will be fabulous! Thanks for everything, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a CP you trust is invaluable. It took me a long time to find them, but I have 2 right now that I can't write without!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lexi, I am so glad you are one of the lucky ones to have found great people to surround yourself with!

    ReplyDelete