Saturday, April 9, 2011

Is it fate?

I told a story the other day at work about the birth of my middle child, my son. My sister-in-law and I were pregnant together. Come January 7, 1998, I went into the hospital in labor. I was 7 days late. After visiting me, my brother and his wife went home, only to come back to the hospital. She was in labor and she was 7 days early. I gave birth that day to my son. 7 hours and 16 mins. later, my sister-in-law gave birth to a son. They were born on my sister Beth's birthday. Also, there are 7 people in our family with 7 in their birthdays.



Was this fate?


I like to think that because of all of the 7's surrounding their birth, that there is something special in store for them. 7 is a special number. You find it mentioned in the Bible and in the Native American lore, 7 is lucky.


We should have bought a lucky 7 lottery ticket the night the boys were born, but didn't think of it then. On their 7th birthday, my sister-in-law and I went at 7 pm to buy a lucky 7 lottery ticket, but we didn't win anything. Oh well.


These are things we can never foretell in our futures. Some believe in fate and some think that we make our own destinies. I think there is a little bit of both. You never know what life has in store but what we do with it is up to us.

When we are writing, we create the fate that lands upon our characters. It is up to us to decide what happens to our characters and how they will handle it.


Are the H/H fated for each other? Is it in the stars for the hero to become a knight when he is not of a royal line? If a heroine travels back in time, is that her fate or is she just in the wrong place at the wrong time?


I think people want to believe in fate. To believe that there is a bigger plan in the world that will affect our lives.


What do you think? Do you believe in fate?

No comments:

Post a Comment