Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Interview with Author, MEGAN KELLY



Author Megan Kelly


Sarah, thanks for having me here. I’m tickled to meet your readers. In fact, I’d like to offer (to a random commenter, a pdf of Holly & Ivey and a hand-knit scarf like the one mentioned in the book. What a fun way to celebrate the season. It’s green, red and white yarn, which makes it good for Cinco de Mayo too!  (I have a picture of it but my computer crashed, so you’ll have to believe me when I say it’s a pretty cool scarf. On the DH’s laptop, and downloading 1052 pictures to find one isn’t making him smile.)

Last year, I published Santa Dear, a tale about a little boy who doubts Santa’s existence and the two adults who try to restore his belief. I fell in love with the small town of Cloverdale and wanted to set another story nearby. Holly and Ivey is set in adjacent Stilton, et voila! A series is born.

Sarah asked me about research, and as always, there are things I don’t know that I have to learn. Too many to mention, so I’ll pare down the list. One of the most obvious is Christmas tree farming, as well as the attached fruit orchard business, which is the hero’s livelihood. I know more than I could put in a book, which is exactly as it should be, in my opinion. A writer should research until she could do the job and then just add snippets for interest and authenticity. I know a bit about the area where my fictional towns are set from researching for Santa Dear. I researched Holly’s job as assistant marketing director then wound up not using it. I researched places to eat in Chicago near the landmark Palmer House Hotel, then decided no one really cared where Holly ate. I even checked with my kids on a quote I used from one of their favorite movies, Sandlot.

Most of what I write flows out of my fingers to the keys. I find out what’s happening as it appears on my screen. Which is enchanting and spooky at the same time. I love when the story is working, but if the characters stop telling me what to write, I struggle. That means somewhere along the path, I lost them. I have to write my way back to where they’re happy and will cooperate. Then I usually scrap the stuff where they wouldn’t talk to me. Fortunately, they’re pretty willing to take me along for the whole ride. I research as I go, since I don’t know what I need to learn until I get to a place in the story where I don’t know whatever it is. I’m sure that makes zero sense to non-writers and those who plot. I’m a flier—I fly into the mist, trusting my navigation (writing skills and characters) to deliver me safe at my destination, a place called The End.  It’s fun and hard and wonderful and awful. I wouldn’t have it any other way.


My website: http://www.megankellybooks.com
Amazon buy link: www.amazon.com/Holly-Ivey-Christmas-Stilton-ebook/dp/B00AFGKDU6
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/holly-ivey-megan-kelly/1113871347?ean=2940015808339

BLURB
Holly MacDonald rushes to her hometown to prevent her friend from marrying an unfaithful groom. Her old buddy, Luke Ivey, is the best man who intends to stop her interference. She's no longer his tomboy pal, and he's no longer her nerdy sidekick. They're attracted to each other, despite their different views on the wedding and their living four hours apart. But he's tied to the land and she's tied to the coorperate ladder in Chicago.

When "The Wedding March" fades and Christmas is over, will they stay together? 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Love the blurb, Megan. I'm looking forward to reading it! I enjoyed your description of your writing process as flying into the mist. Looking forward to your next project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara! Being a flier is not easy but it is a thrill. :)

    ReplyDelete